Hike to an abandoned copper mine, in the side of a cliff, then to Bush Creek and its magnificent waterfalls. This hike is rated intermediate because there are two steep uphills, approximately 120 meters (approx 400 ft). The first uphill is up to the mine on a forest trail with some maneuvering over downed trees and muddy puddles. The mine is known to locals as the Thistle mine. Retracing our steps back to the main logging road, we then continue down the road to Bush Creek. Here is the second of the steep uphills. Though strenuous, the effort is worth it! At the top are spectacular twin waterfalls. At the first falls, the trail crosses the creek and continues over to the next waterfall. These beauties flow their best in Spring and Fall when the water levels are high!
A Clif bar and 500mL water bottle are included.
4 persons minimum
110.00$ each person
Meeting at the Timberland’s pub, 1680 Timberland RD. This is just South of Nanaimo by the airport.
Please note: We may be able to accommodate some but not all alternative pick-up locations.
The Thistle mine is on the northeast side of Mount Hayes and was established in approximately 1904 by the Vancouver Exploration and Development Company. The copper vein was too small and low grade to be economically worthwhile. The mine was re-staked in 1939- 1940 by Duff and Good mineral strike claim. Leased in 1942 to the Ladysmith Copper Syndicate. In 1963 the minister of mines reported four claims on Mount Hayes called Molly #1-4 including the old Thistle mine.